top

Wimbledon

Q: What can you serve but not eat?
A: A tennis ball  

Give me a break, I am having some trouble with my server, so I have made a food and nutrition related blog using words I can make out of the letters in WIMBLEDON. Fifteen of them.
“How many?”
“Fifteen: love”

BOILED; there will be some difference nutritionally between boiled and fresh vegetables because some vitamins are sensitive to heat, for example, vitamin C, but there are also positives to boiling – it helps to break down the plant cell walls, allowing us to better absorb the antioxidant lycopene which may protect us from certain cancers.

OILED; olive oil is the basis of the Mediterranean diet, rich in monounsaturated fatty acids – the healthy dietary fat (side note: olive oil should not be used as a sunscreen for tennis players).

MILDEW; salt and sugar are used to preserve foods. As manufacturers reduce the content of these for nutritional purposes, it is essential that they understand the consequences of reduction of these in the shelf life of their foods and are able to reformulate their products safely.

BIOME; our gut is home to a large community of microbes, known as the microbiome and there is a growing realisation that this microbiome has an important influence on our health. We work at the Quadram Institute where there are scientists seeking to better understand the microbiome and uncover the mechanisms by which if affects health.

MOBILE; how mobile has your food been? Food miles are a way of measuring how far food has travelled before it reaches you. It is a way of looking at the environmental impact of foods. Watch out for those sneaky coconuts trying to use their airmiles.

MODEL; Rafael Nadal. No.Further.Words.Required.

LEMON; used with apples, cucumber and strawberries as a garnish for Pimms, the traditional gin based drink first produced by a farmer’s son from Kent.

MELON; a watermelon (without skin) is 91% water , the first recorded watermelon harvest was in Egypt nearly 5,000 years ago, and seeds were discovered in Tutankhamun’s tomb.

WOMEN; will watch and play tennis, so will MEN, which is also a word I could have used, yes I shall use that, phew that’s one less fact to find.

DEMO; would you like a free demo and trial of the Nutritics software to calculate the nutritional composition of foods? Click here http://www.nutritics.com/welcome/nis

BOWL; worth remembering that a bowl is not a portion size, since all bowls vary in size and it depends what food you put in it. The NHS consider a portion of cereal to be 3 tablespoons, or a portion of cooked rice is 2 heaped tablespoons and a portion of Garibaldi biscuits is 2, but you don’t need the bowl for them.

ELBOW; look, its related to tennis and you need it to bend to eat food, it’s the best I can do right now.

BONE; an elbow has a bone, please sir can I stop writing yet?

OBE; I need one after writing this blog.

Game over

Where I got my facts:

BOILED

MILDEW

BIOME

MOBILE

LEMON

MELON

Tutankhamun’s tomb

BOWL

, , , ,